/* End of Popular posts CSS ------------------------------*/ -->

The Illusion of Perfection

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Yes, that looks perfect! And other lies we tell ourselves.

 
We're all under this spell, that is there is something called perfection. We're surrounded by images of the idea of perfection, perfect bodies, people, cities and perfect instagram photos. However, you have to remember that all these pictures and things are faked, oh the wonders of photo editing. Also people only capture the good moments. They aren't real life. After 23 years of life, I've come to realise that nothing is perfect and everything is flawed in some way. Whether it's people, places or feelings, perfection is just an idea and it should stay this way.

Now I can't lie and say I wasn't a fool of chasing perfection, I thought that moving to another country would mean that I would find my idea of a perfect life, but it has been far from it. It hasn't been disappointing but it's definitely not perfect. Accept your flaws, they make you- you. Remember that no one is perfect. I've spent a lot of time watching interviews of people that have been titled 'the most sexiest person of 2015 etc' and none of them claimed they were perfect. In fact, they revelled in how far from it they were, listing each thing that they do that was considered wrong and disgraceful. This was eye opening, how do perfect people not see themselves as how we do? They look perfect and fit in this idea of perfection. It's because each person knows their own flaws, and I doubt anyone sees themselves as perfect. Therefore, highlighting that this notion does not exist.

I will put my hand up and admit it too, I am a flawed human being. I have my weaknesses, my own flaws but that's what makes me human. I get to learn from my flaws, try to improve on them and be a better person. I guess, if we were all perfect, we wouldn't have that wonderful journey of self- individualism and being able to realise what type of person we are. Accept that and you will have a happier non-perfect life.

We shouldn't live to chase perfection because it doesn't exist and that's okay, it's perfect to not be perfect.

-Sophia x

No comments :

Post a Comment